Monday, November 14, 2011

Meatless Monday Recipe


So I must admit, I haven't tried this recipe yet, I am making it for dinner tomorrow night. I will post a comment afterwards to let you know how it was. It sounds good. Not sure where I found it, but it has been adapted.

Broccoli Manicotti

2 tsp EVOO
14 manicotti tubes
4 cups broccoli florets
1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
2/3 cup Vanilla Rice Milk
4 tbs EVOO (for brushing)
1 cup ricotta cheese
6 tbs grated parmesan
pinch nutmeg
salt & pepper
1 jar Prego mushroom sauce (or any marinara)

Preheat over to 375F. Lightly brush 9x13 pan with EVOO. Bring large saucepan of water to a boil, add EVOO to water, simmer manicotti uncovered 6-7 minutes. Steam broccoli for 10 minutes. Drain pasta & rinse in cold water. Drain broccoli & cool, then blend until smooth. Place breadcrumbs in a bowl, add milk & oil, stir until softened. Add ricotta, broccoli, nutmeg, & 4 tbs parmesan. Season with salt & pepper. Pour sauce in baking pan. Pipe cheese mixture into tubes, then lay in sauce. Brush tops with EVOO & sprinkle with remaining parmesan. Bake 25-30 minutes.
*Edited to add my thoughts after making/eating...
This dish was a little bland in my opinion, but very filling. It said it served four, but I think if served with soup/bread/salad it could serve 6-10. I would further tweak this recipe by adding a generous 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes, oregano, and sweet basil and maybe 1/2 cup less breadcrumbs and would switch the plain breadcrumbs to Italian ones. I would also swap out the parmesan for mozzarella.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...