Wednesday, February 29, 2012

EBWC Destinations


Here is my entry, Oceanic, for the Etsy Bead Weavers March challenge, Destinations. You can view the actual listing HERE.


For this challenge, we were to pick a destination and design our entry around it. My favorite way to travel is via cruise, so my destination of choice is on a cruise ship in the middle of the Caribbean Sea.


I’ve always been drawn to water; the smell, sound, sight of it. I enjoy being so far away from everything & getting away from the chaos of our modern world. We are getting ready to book our next cruise (to Belize & Honduras) so this was an especially fun challenge to design a piece for.


I've included some photos of our past cruises to the Caribbean (British & US Virgin Islands and the Bahamas), in which I found inspiration for this piece.


In the Caribbean, the water is so clear and can range in color from turquoise to teal to sapphire and the nights are so black. All is peaceful, warm, quiet, and calm.



The focal is a stunning teal Lucite cabochon I happened upon in a local bead shop. It is bead embroidered with black & tropical green seed beads surrounding it and backed with soft faux suede. The straps contain turquoise, green, and black seed beads and represent gentle waves.


Over 750+ tiny beads were stitched to create this lightweight and flexible necklace.


Please be sure to visit our team blog, between the 9th and the 15th of March to see all the entries from the wonderfully talented artists in this team and vote for your favorite entry!



3 comments:

Marsha Wiest-Hines said...

Beautiful! That lucite cab is really super. Lovely work.

Sandra said...

Thank you!

Indounik said...

I just hearted this piece when I stopped by your Etsy shop a few days ago. It's magic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...